Saturday, May 8, 2010
It's much bigger on the inside.
An order came in for a TARDIS and I was so excited. The trial and error process was a little more than I expected, but I'm alright with how it turned out. It's so easy to make. As always, email me pictures of finished products or if you've got any questions. (firstname.lastname@example.org)
3-5 oz. worsted weight yarn in blue
white and black yarn for embroidering
Pattern Note: I crochet tightly anyways, but I find that crocheting tightly helps a lot in this aspect because it makes the rectangles a little bit more sturdy.
Side: (Make 4)
Row 1: sc in second ch from hook and in each stitch across.(15 sc)
Row 2-25: ch 1, turn. sc in each sc. (15 sc)
[if you want a taller TARDIS make more rows here]
Row 1: sc in second ch from hook and in each sc across (20 sc)
Row 2-20: ch 1, turn. sc in each sc. (20 sc)
[make as many rows as needed to make a square.]
Row 1: sc in second ch from hook and in each sc across (15 sc)
Row 2-15: ch 1, turn. sc in each sc. (15 sc)
1: With white yarn, embroider "Police Box" on the top of each of the sides. Under that, embroider 6 "windows" in 2 groups of 3. Directly under that, embroider 2 sets of 3 windows again.
2. On one of the sides (I picked the best looking one because I'm not the best embroiderer) stitch lines around the windows to make doors. (using black yarn) See photo.
3. Sew all four sides together to make a 3-d rectangle.
4. Sew bottom to 3-D rectangle. It should be bigger than the rectangle by about 2 stitches on each side.
5. To make the light on top, ch 5, sl st in second ch from hook and in each across. Sew this, upright, to the top.
*If desired, cut cardboard to fit inside the bottom and all four sides. You don't need to attach these in any way. They'll be held down and up by the stuffing.*
6. Sew top to top of rectangle 3/4 of the way. Stuff TARDIS. Sew last side of top. If you pull a little bit on the light in the middle of the top it gives it a peaked appearance.
7. Find a handsome Scottish gentleman and go gallivanting across space and time.