Saturday, November 26, 2011

Salazar Snake




I think that snakes are my favorite things to make using variegated yarns. The stripes work up so nicely. This particular yarn is Vanna's Choice Charcoal Print. Any variegated yarn should work fine. Plus, since it's a toy plain ol' cheap Red Heart would work perfectly. I just wrote this pattern down as I went, so sometimes the stitches may seem off. Just work them like the pattern says and you should get a snake with a more realistically shaped head. If you guys have any suggestions or run into any problems, feel free to email me at armyofowls@gmail.com

Edit 8/14/2012: I've added some alternate directions for the tail. I find it makes the tail a little bit more life-like.
Materials:
  • any yarn you'd like, just make sure you change the hook size so that your gauge is tight and none of the stuffing is falling out. This takes anywhere from 1 oz of yarn to several skeins, depending on how long you want the snake to be. I usually try to use an entire skein of this particular yarn. It's 3.5 oz.
  • f hook
  • yarn needle
  • safety eyes, or a contrasting color yarn to embroider eyes on your snake.

Abbreviations:
  • sc = single crochet
  • ch = chain
  • dec = decrease
  • st = stitch


-Ch 5. sc in second chain from hook and in next 2 chs. Work 3 sc in end ch. Working in opposite side of ch, sc in next two bumps. Work 2 sc in last bump. 10 sts total.

Work continues in a spiral, so remember to mark your first stitch somehow.

-Round 2: Sc in next 4 sts. 3 sc in next st. Repeat around.
-Round 3-5: Sc around
-Round 6: 2 sc in next st. Sc in next 4 sts. 2 sc in next st. Sc in next st. 2 sc in next st. Sc in next 4 sts. 2 sc in next st. Sc in next st.

-Round 7 & 8: Sc around for 2 rounds.

-Round 9: Sc. 2 sc in next st. Sc in next 5. 2sc. Sc in next 2. 2 sc. Sc in next 5. 2 sc. Sc.

-Round 10-12: Sc around

-Round 13: Work a decrease every 2 sc. It doesn't work out exactly just make sure you end up with a multiple of 3 stitches at the end. I believe I worked sc, [dec, sc in next 2 st.] Repeat []around to last 5 sts. Dec, sc,dec.

-Round 14: [Sc, dec] around to last stitch. Sc in last stitch. Stuff head and put eyes on.

-Round 15: Dec, sc in remaining sts. This should leave you with ten stitches.

Sc around, stuffing as you go, until the snake is desired length.

Sc 3, dec. Repeat. (8sts)

Sc around for five rounds.

Sc 2,dec. Repeat. (6 sts)

Sc around 5 rounds.

Sc, dec around. (4)
Sc around for 3 rounds.
Dec twice.

Cut yarn, leaving enough to sew tail closed.

Alternate tail: If you want a more streamlined tail, Just decrease one at the beginning of the round. I started using markers again at this point. I decreased, then worked a few rounds. Let's say 10. Then I decreased at the beginning again, worked 10 rounds.  Then I only worked 5 rounds between decrease rounds, etc., until I only had a few stitches left.

Be sure to email me at armyofowls@gmail.com if you've got any questions or if you'd like to share some of the snakes you've made. Please feel free to make these as gifts, and share the pattern. Just be sure to credit me or link to my blog. Thank you! Please do not sell the pattern.

5 comments:

  1. This is the cutest crochet snakes I've ever seen! I want to make one for my sister...Thankyou for putting this up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the most adorable snake ever!!! I must make one right now...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cool! I was looking for snake patterns for a Chinese New Year yarn bombing event and this looks perfect! How do I follow your blog, btw? Elly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone! I love these snakes so I'm glad to see that they're bringing joy to others as well. Elly I think you can follow this blog via google reader. There should be a link you can click on above the photos of my followers so far.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe this art really requires a big heart for crocheting task. This snake seemed so real with its lively striped color. Very meticulous hand could have made this one. I could try making crocheted snake. Thank you for the directions posted also here. Maybe we can choose colours that resemble the common snake in our places to make it appear life-like.


    Split Site PhD

    ReplyDelete